A few weeks ago on Superfood Sunday, I wrote a blog post about the new “queen of greens” – kale. Read more here.
I wanted to share with you one of my favourite pesto recipes that uses kale, instead of the traditional basil, as a base. Pesto is so quick and easy to make, requires minimal ingredients, and is so versatile that it can be used as an extra to so many dishes. Here are some of may favourite ways to enjoy pesto:
- Mix through salads or add to a stir fry to spruce up your vegies
- Top off your baked/grilled salmon, fish or chicken with a dollop of pesto
- Blend through your scrambled eggs for a café style breakfast at home
- Mix through a pasta or quinoa dish
- Simply serve as a dip with your favourite crackers (I personally love Kitz crackers in Italian Herb)
Whatever you choose, it’s a great way to get more greens into your diet!
This recipe is 100% gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free and preservative-free.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
1 bunch kale leaves (stems removed)
1 tsp coconut oil
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbs olive oil
½ cup pine nuts
Juice of 1 lemon
Lightly sauté the kale leaves in coconut oil and garlic over a medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
Add sautéed kale and garlic to food processor, with remaining ingredients.
Blend in food processor for about 1 minute, or until a smooth creamy mixture forms.
Store in fridge for up to 1 week.
WELLNESS TIP: you can also add some nutritional yeast (about 1 Tbsp) for a cheesier flavour – dairy-free of course! With the added bonus of vitamin-B12 why not give it a go!