Detox Challenge + The Ultimate Detox Smoothie
Are you ready? For the month of February I’ll be doing a mini detox to focus on clearing my digestive system of any nasties and rebalancing my gut bacteria to optimum levels. If you, like me, over-indulged just a little during the holiday season (as good as it was 🙂 ) you might be feeling a little sluggish coming into the New Year. Which is why I think February is the perfect time to detox – those holidays are long forgotten and you’ve settled back into normal routine. So it’s now time to step it up a notch! Whose with me?!
What kind of detox am I doing? Well my focus is always on holistic health – so the 3 areas I will be focusing on are nutrition, body and mind. Here’s a snippet of some of the things I’ll be doing this month:
- Eating mindfully: being aware of what I’m eating, sitting down and not rushing meals and chewing 10-12 times before swallowing food.
- Morning energiser: starting my day with a ½ litre of warm water with 1 tsp soaked chia seeds and squeeze of ¼ lemon juice – the best alkalising drink first thing in the morning.
- Eliminating: dairy, wheat, gluten, soy, coffee, alcohol, processed foods and artificial sweeteners. Most of these foods are normally not in my diet, but some of them crept back in during the holiday period!
- Enjoying: fresh fruit and vegies (especially dark leafy greens), oily fish, seeds and nuts, probiotics, fermented food, coconut oil, green tea.
- Lots of water: so important!! A minimum of 2 litres per day will do wonders for the skin!
- Sweat, sweat, sweat: one of the best ways to clear toxins from your body is through sweating via exercise. 45 mins medium-high intensity exercise per day is ideal.
- Yoga: the combination of stretching while being aware of your breath is so wonderful for detoxing both the mind and body.
- Body brushing: skin is our largest organ and is the passageway for the release of toxins, so get scrubbing with either a body brush or body scrub.
- Meditation: practice deep breathing exercises for a minimum of 15 mins a day (I like to do mine before bedtime where I breathe in for 6 seconds, hold for 2 and release the breath for 6 seconds).
- Sleep: going to bed early, switching off all technology ½ hour before bed and getting 8 hours of sleep per night.
- Laugh more: life can get way too seriously sometimes, especially when you’re trying to focus on all of the above! Biggest tip is enjoy the process and don’t put too much pressure on yourself – just embrace and enjoy the wonderful benefits as and when they flow through.
You can follow me on Instagram @wellnesstemple to get my daily detoxing tips!
In the meantime, I’ll share with you one of my favourite detoxing smoothies:
THE ULTIMATE DETOX SMOOTHIE
1 cup coconut water
1 cup spinach
1 cup romaine lettuce
2 stalks celery
1 inch knob ginger
¼ lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
Add all ingredients to blender, mix, pour and sip mindfully!
Feel free to ask me any questions along the way at firstname.lastname@example.org xx