Quinoa Sushi Rolls
A quirky twist on traditional sushi, these Quinoa Sushi Rolls are quickly becoming a new favourite of mine! They make a great on-the-go snack or a lovely light lunch or dinner. You can get really versatile with your fillings too – see my list below for some suggestions!
Seaweed is one of the true superfoods of the sea. It often goes unnoticed but is packed with so much goodness!
Benefits of Seaweed:*
- Blood Purifying: the chemical composition of seaweeds is so close to human blood plasma, that they are excellent at regulating and purifying our blood.
- High in Calcium: they can contain up to 10 times more calcium than milk and 8 times as much as beef.
- Alkalizing: they help to alkalize our blood, neutralizing the over-acidic effects of our modern diet.
- Have Powerful Chelating Properties: they offer protection from a wide array of environmental toxins, including heavy metals, pollutants and radiation by-products, by converting them to harmless salts that the body can eliminate easily.
- Contain Antioxidants: seaweeds contain lignans (naturally occurring chemical compounds) which have anti-cancer properties.
- Detoxifying: they are rich in chlorophyll (the pigment that makes some seaweeds green) which is a powerful, natural detoxifier that helps to draw out waste products.
- Boost Weight loss: seaweeds play a role in boosting weight loss and deterring cellulite build-up. Their naturally high concentration of iodine, helps to stimulate the thyroid gland, which is responsible for maintaining a healthy metabolism. At the same time, its’ minerals act like electrolytes to break the chemical bonds that seal the fat cells, allowing trapped wastes to escape.
Now I like to use nori, which is a type of seaweed perfect for making sushi rolls.
I combine this with quinoa (prounounced “keen-wah”) which is another staple in my household. It’s a great gluten-free plant-based protein and is also a really good source of iron and fibre. It comes in a variety of colours and forms – you can buy quinoa seeds, quinoa flakes, puffed quinoa and even quinoa milk now!
Check out these recipes I’ve made using quinoa:
- Apple, Date and Pecan Quinoa Porridge
- Baked Herb Encrusted Salmon
- Beetroot, black bean and veggie burgers
- Fig and Apple Crumble
HOW TO MAKE QUINOA SUSHI ROLLS
1 cup cooked quinoa
4 sheets nori (sushi seaweed rolls)
Tamari (for dipping sauce)
Thinly sliced cucumber
Thinly sliced peppers – green or red
Animal protein: chicken, tuna, salmon or egg
Seeds: hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds
Tip: Japanese mandolins are great for finely slicing veggies!
Place a nori sheet on a bench (or a bamboo sushi mat, if using).
Spread quarter of the quinoa mix on half of the nori sheet, working from the edge closest to you and right to the sides.
Layer your favourite toppings across the middle of the quinoa
Wrap the rolls tightly and all the way to the end, beginning with the edge closest to you.
Seal with a dab of water if needed.
Cut the roll to your liking using a sharp clean knife.
Serve with some tamari sauce.